accepting gifts from patients

11/14/2011 12:49:35 AM
Is it ok to flatly refuse any and all kinds of gifts from patients?

There were 2 q's on UW.

One where e jeweller gifted an antique watch and u were supposed to accept it as it was within the means of both the dr and the patient while making clear that dr was just doin his duty and he would've done the same 4 any1 else.

Another where an employee at a sports stadium gifted free(the employee would get them 4 free and would usually sell it) tickets to a game and the dr was supposed 2 refuse it for which the explanation was that all gifts except tokens like thank you letters or sweets were to be refused.

How come this contradiction?Even with respect to the patients'economic status an antique watch would certainly cost more than free tickets?

Even

11/14/2011 2:12:31 PM
well according to what i understood from the questions they explained that an expensive gift is not acceptable and antiques here in the US are very expensive,while they also say anything between the range of less then $10 is ok depends what it is like cookies or candies,less then $10 you can accept it but you need to make sure and let them know you are just doing your duty and would do the same to anyone else in need,so as to make them realise they are not the only case.....

11/15/2011 10:05:29 AM
thanks.
That was exactly what i thought.But how come uw says accept the antique watch but refuse the tickets?

11/15/2011 4:15:53 PM
Really...coz i thought it was the opposite in that question just double check it again....i still havent come across the watch question but if i do i will look at it too.....

11/15/2011 9:51:29 PM
thanx.pls let me know when u solve it

11/16/2011 6:21:13 PM
I came across with both questions and was really confused...I think there might a mistake in uworld explanations because its an obvious contradiction between both questions but opposite can be possible. In this matter kaplan flat says no gifts from patients while conrad fischer says depending on patient's status and nature of gifts u can accept some gifts. After thorough search and heated discussions with friends, i made a mind that in these kind of questions i will mark that option which says no gift.

11/18/2011 1:20:59 AM
when i was doing uworld, i got a small message at the top of the match tickets questions in preview. that uworld has been upgraded and this question is no longer valid.

so u can ignore that one.

as a simple rule, nothing over $10. or home made meals.

7/7/2022 12:16:57 PM
never accept any gift its a setup usually

7/7/2022 1:01:07 PM
its best to always remain humble and simple in the ethics questions

10/30/2022 4:28:01 AM
never accept any gift they will expect favors in return

11/12/2022 11:51:24 AM
should never be done

3/24/2023 7:19:35 AM
Hi! In connection with the upcoming Father's Day, I am looking for a suitable and original gift for my father. I would appreciate any ideas and recommendations that will help me please my father on this special day. Thank you in advance!

3/24/2023 9:08:20 AM
Hey everyone, I came across this hamper gifts for dad site while looking for gift ideas for Father's Day and I have to say I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. They have a wide selection of baskets and I think they would make a great gift for any dad. I have already chosen which basket I will order for my father, I advise you to do the same!

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK