Passed Step3 with high performance

11/14/2022 6:59:13 PM
Consistency is the key for this exam, you need to spend at least 4-6 weeks of consistent prep, without letting days go by without productivity. I was given 4 weeks to take the exam by my residency program. I wish i had taken step3 before starting residency.
I strongly recommend UW, UW for biostats, MTB, FA, and Goldusmle (1-832-836-1330) rapid review was extra helpful, they go into multiple systems each day and cover CCS everyday hitting all the points necessary for the exam.
For Day 1 Honestly it was easier than Day2. On my exam, there were probably 8-10 biostats questions PER block on Day 1 ONLY and covered a range of biostats material. A decent amount of it was pretty basic 2x2 table stuff so don't neglect that. There was some basic science material on there. It may have hit on strengths but I felt it was stuff residents should still know like MOAs of drugs, etc. The way basic science was often tested was in the form of a 2-3 order MCQ where they gave you a clinical scenario. You had to get the diagnosis (1) and the treatment (2) and the answer choices would be the mechanism of action of the treatment. I honestly found these to be easier because you can reason through them. Some of the questions were super random but that's with any Step exam. Some of those random ones were actually random factoids I had a gestalt about based off something I remembered way back in the M1/M2 classroom. All the ethics questions were on day 1 for me as well and there were some tough ones. I was able to get through each block with 2 mins to spare. I came out of day 1 with a 9/10 confidence level. On Day 2:The Day 2 MCQs were more tough.Another thing that messed with my head was there were these two-part questions where answering one locks your answer and most of the time the next question reveals the answer to the previous question in the first sentence (ex. The physician orders [insert answer choice from last question]). I think I was like 9 for 10 on them between both days. There were more pairs than that but others didn't necessarily give away the answer. I couldn't help but take more time on these knowing I would know if I got them wrong in a few seconds so be ready for that mentally. Anyhow, this whole day felt tougher than day 1 the questions were much longer. 3. I just thought questions were more vague...obviously I did well enough so something went right though so don't be super discouraged if this happens to you. Finally CCS came along. Note that you get a 45 min cumulative break time on day 2 for MCQs and a separate 45 min break time for CCS. I personally used very minimal break time which I think was a good idea because I think my performance on an exam gets worse the later it gets into the day and I finished at 2pm instead of 4 pm which was optimal. One case had two separate diseases! I have residency experience and that helped a ton. One case was a pretty realistic scenario I see a lot in the ICU I didn't think CCS would test on. I was perturbed when I had a case I knew exactly how to manage end promptly after my first round of orders when it said the patient was feeling better. I also stumbled on cant'-miss diagnoses three times presenting atypically (which is why it's so important to do a fundamental workup on everyone and not anchor on a diagnosis at the beginning). It’s also true that shot gunning takes time because you are shown results for everything you order so you have to know when to shot gun and when not to. Overall, most cases ended early and most got better through patient feedback. I didn't feel the need to take many breaks between CCS. I ended the day 1.5 hrs early (there is separate break timer for MCQ section and CCS). I felt that was a good way to do it. Overall the day2 questions seemed longer but as long as you can get through and understand what they want from you, you will be ok.
Good luck to all of you

11/14/2022 7:01:14 PM
Congratulations it was a pleasure to be your study partner thank you for your time you spent with me

11/14/2022 7:03:14 PM
CONGRATULATIONS THANKS FOR THE TIPS

11/14/2022 7:05:28 PM
congratulations

12/27/2022 6:23:28 AM
congratulations thank you for being my study partner

1/5/2023 5:36:31 AM
Consistency is a key of success in any field. But how to motivate and be consistent? I have read many books, watched educative video on it but it's not easy to keep the same path for me. When I focus on my Math exam I can't focus on my essay work in Chemistry. I made a good planning to prepare for exam and decided to request some writing service to help with the essay. But there are so many offers on the market that I got lost. Only when I read edubirdie review on https://youressayreviews.com/review-of-edubirdie-com-services/ it helped me to make a choice. I think it's just because it's constructive, based on facts, and convincing. I could focus on my main goal - Math. I think if if worked on both complicated tasks for me, it would not work out and I would lose my consistency. I don't know if that's possible to be focused and work consistently on a few goals. Will be glad to hear if you share your opinion on this subject as well. Thanks.

3/19/2023 5:10:00 AM
congratulations it was a pleasure to be your study partner

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK