Should I apply, or wait for next year?

7/22/2013 8:47:07 AM
Hello guys, I'm an IMG graduated in 2010
I need your opinion about my case. What would you do in my shoes?

I want to apply to Diagnostic Radiology, I have a low Step 1 score, and 240 in Step2 CK, I did the Step 2 CS the 4th of June and I'm still waiting for the result. I don't have USCE yet.

My Idea is do one year of research in Radiology but I haven't found any chance to do this yet, I have onserverships in Neuroradiology for next September in Boston and October-November in Atlanta. I'm looking for a third place to do an observership maybe in NYC but If I find a chance to start research I'll take that as my priority.

I have thought about applying this year this week since I meet some people that will apply, but I will go with my low score in step 1, no research, and 2 LORs (from my upcoming observerships which will be added in October and November)

Would you apply in my shoes?I'm afraid of getting too old, getting gaps in my CV, becoming a bad applicant. Please advice.

Thank you in advance.

7/22/2013 11:36:48 AM
drtseuq wrote:
Life is about taking risk. The only way you can get residency is too apply,you might get residency in your desired specialty you never know. If I were you I would apply regardless of your visa status.
edited by drtseuq on 7/22/2013

Thank you for your reply, although I do need a visa, I'm worried more about my CV. I'm afraid f I apply this year with not enough experience and LORs I won't match.

7/24/2013 3:13:13 PM
Hello guys, I would like to hear your thoughts about my case posted above.
If someone around here has experience in the application process, I would appreciate it. Thanks

7/24/2013 7:41:22 PM
Here are some thoughts. To overcome low step 1 score you will need very good LORs, particularly form the places and people a PD is familiar about. For this year there is always a chance that you get somewhere, so apply to some programs, but I would not apply in the areas where you would do observerships. They are your ticket for next year. If you apply this year, you may not get invited, and next year PD may not invite you just because you are the "same" applicant from last year despite yours wonderful LORs. Another advice - apply to more than 1 specialty.

Dinamur wrote:
Hello guys, I'm an IMG graduated in 2010
I need your opinion about my case. What would you do in my shoes?

I want to apply to Diagnostic Radiology, I have a low Step 1 score, and 240 in Step2 CK, I did the Step 2 CS the 4th of June and I'm still waiting for the result. I don't have USCE yet.

My Idea is do one year of research in Radiology but I haven't found any chance to do this yet, I have onserverships in Neuroradiology for next September in Boston and October-November in Atlanta. I'm looking for a third place to do an observership maybe in NYC but If I find a chance to start research I'll take that as my priority.

I have thought about applying this year this week since I meet some people that will apply, but I will go with my low score in step 1, no research, and 2 LORs (from my upcoming observerships which will be added in October and November)

Would you apply in my shoes?I'm afraid of getting too old, getting gaps in my CV, becoming a bad applicant. Please advice.

Thank you in advance.

7/24/2013 7:57:31 PM
Thank you so much for the advice.
I think is not worth it to apply this year then, I have chaces near 0% to be called this year, next year I will have my LORs and maybe some research experience. I also can take step 3 next year.

Thanks a lot!
-D

7/24/2022 7:10:00 AM
If you are going to travel then you need to wear the perfect pair of boots that are comfortable during travel. I have checked about the https://nortiv8shoes.com/collections/water-shoes option where a large collection of water shoes are available for water protection and give real comfortable during travel.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK