Students with exam on January

10/30/2009 1:11:33 PM
Hi Nan
I didn't finish my first round either, I have internal medicine ahead. but I think it's a good idea to do one block everyday and review other material.
Sure I'll tell you the outcome

11/8/2009 12:22:31 AM
Hi Guy's I've finished reading through the notes and watching the Kaplan Videos. Started UW today, I attempt 2 blocks a day; (eventhough i wish I could do more).

So far I've started with pediatrics. Questions are kinda long, and often the diagnosis is quite apparent. However the questions asked are very tricky.

So far I've done 3 blocks (44q each) and performance profile

Block 1:35/44 (79%)
Block 2: 32/44 (72%)
Block 3: 28/44 (63%)

Note the steady decline in my performance; most of the questions are very tricky and as I read the explanations I realise its cos I overlooked a minute but important factoid; and most times its cos I never knew the answer.

I hope to continue to share my experiences....suggestions are welcome as well.

11/8/2009 9:11:26 PM
Hi Samory
You already did a great job for first blocks, so the result is, it looks like real exam, cause I've heard the real exam is just like this, longe and tricky questions, when is your exam?
good luck

11/8/2009 10:42:45 PM
Hi

M way behind u guys....just gettin goin in med....doen with psy...
Booked test for feb 1

Plan to fin notes once by dec 1wk.. is a month for UW ok????????Final 20 days for practice exams n FA.....is it gonna work????

11/9/2009 1:18:47 AM
@ snilidr: Thanks for the encouragement. I've not exactly chosen a date for the exam but my eligibility period extends from dec 1 to feb 1. I want to 'go thru' all the questions and explanations.

Help please anyone; is it possible to 'summarise' Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis' I mean the pauciarticular and poly articular and late onset pauci and early onset pauciarticular. The factoids are just a bit too detailed and confusing for me. Came across a couple of questions that were very tricky. Would appreciate a simple explanation with regards to which one needs serial slit lamp exams to preempt iridocyclitis and which one is predominant in which gender. A pneumonic or sumthing...a short summary...
edited by samory on 11/9/2009

11/9/2009 3:20:51 PM
I learned it like this
Poly, RF+ =Older girls with poor prognose
Poly ANA+ =Younger girs with good prognose
Pauci RF+ =Both sex with poor prognose
Pauci ANA+ =Younger girls with chronic iridocyclitis, best prognose
Pauce HLA B27+ =Older boys with good prognose

11/11/2009 3:58:37 AM
Hi friends!
I think i am also waaaaaaaaaaay behind you all,anyways reading these msg keeps me on track when i tend to laze around. I had not read the past week at all, due to viral fever. I have taken the eligibility period 2 days back Jan to March....

Keep posting msgs so that i am always on track!

11/24/2009 2:24:42 AM
Hi guys
I just finished my first round, without any DVD! just lecture notes.
What's up with you?
Samory are you going fine with questions?
Good luck everyone

11/24/2009 3:03:24 AM
Hi Snilidr: I have completed the first round of The UW qbank; I did all 2300 questions timed mode; and I got an overall 66% correct. Here is my breakdown:

IM 65% correct
Psych: 59% correct
Pediatrics:74% correct
OB/GYN: 73% correct
Surgery: 60% correct.

I'm going through the incorrect one's on tutor mode. I'm not very confident about my performance. Do you think; I'm on track to get a decent score in the 90s?

11/24/2009 11:27:34 AM
Hi Samory, I think you did a good job, just keep going and work on your weak points, The thing that will show you a good estimation of real exam is your NBME scores, but as I knew getting more than 70% on UW is a good way for making your confidence high

12/4/2009 6:55:27 PM
I just finished USMLE.W in surgery, that was perfect, even better than step1/and so challenging and hard. But I really like them, help alot

12/6/2009 4:25:42 AM
@snilidr are you doing uworld subjectwise? I am doing my medicine videos, will be finishing my first round of subjects this week hopefully. Have not started on doing any questions yet.

12/6/2009 4:45:36 PM
Hi Nan, yes I'm doing subject based, I didn't listen to dvds yet, but I started internal medicine questions and I did pretty good, so postponed listening to dvds.
In my opinion do qbanks as soon as you can, they are perfect, really better than step 1 and helpes alot
good luck and stay in touch

12/13/2009 5:06:09 PM
Hi Guys, How is studying ? I finished 33% of guestions with overall performance 79%, better than step1.
I don't know if you are interested or not, but I found a link which someone put USMLE.W new notes to download, I didn't use them yet, but good to have.

http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/83932/

12/14/2009 9:27:38 AM
Hi Friends. Hi Snilidr;

I am new here but had been watching and following for long.
Snilidr, I amost started things 10 days ater u did and was on ur trak. parallel in timeline while reading but then I did videos and trying some finishing touch to hemat, radio and auxillary subjects and book that i have on my PC so didnt start Uworld.
I think I have very old version of Video lectures. Internal medicine Only Hemat, cardio and infectious By doc Conrad is good rest I found big wastege of my week. If u want to usew this advise...[applicable for old [01] series lectures..

I aso did Dr Conrad's 300 Q which I found very tough so decided to buy UW after a bunch of revision again.
Nice to see u getting good score and jouyous about study. only few are really happy studying.

I just wanted to ask if Iam wasting time [already in few lectures but apart]
by doing OTHER books...I dont think so but you guys jumping klike cheetas on Uworld and me way back... feeling left alone and anxious... any advice?

12/14/2009 12:03:40 PM
Hi Akhsh,thanks for the advise on DVDs, that really helps
About jumping on qbanks, as I experienced on step1, everything is good, but the best is questions, they give you lots of informations and the points you may not notice when you are stusying, they highlight the points for you and motivate you, Reading other books will sure help, but I personally postpone them after finding my week points on Qs, in some special areas.
Good luck

12/15/2009 11:01:00 AM
It is really very true, the videos are actually a waste of time except medicine cardiology. I am just done with one time reading of all the subjects. Now have to start with u world.
snilidr- i think that is a good cumulative score you are getting
will keep ya all posted about my progress in u world.

12/17/2009 7:38:44 AM
I guess u r right. but anyways i just finished what i had planed!
Did good work on radiology and clinical photos from entire baily and harrison...Aldo did 300 Qs from dr fischer..fantastic...soon upload it for all of you.
Now I;ll do a fast revision of notes and then do uworld as u said further delay will hamper precious future study after i realise whatss to b done and whatt is done!
but will spend 7-9 days in revision as i need good score and good understanding too from uworld!

Snilidr; when u appearing for exam?I am planning feb first week..
n_nan....did u start uworld? how is it going?

12/17/2009 10:09:51 AM
The biggest mistake i did was to do uworld only one month for step 1....so dont want to do that again. I want to make sure i do it for atleast 2 months. I have not started uworld. Will go for it from next week. Meanwhile doing some questions from pretest series.

12/17/2009 1:12:04 PM
Hi Aksh, my exam will be on 28 Jan. that would be great if you give us the file of questions as well.
thanks alot and good luck

12/21/2009 2:04:08 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/324035263/Conrad_Fischer_s_Questions.pdf.html

very useful. pass on to as many pepole as possible.

have patience.

12/24/2009 1:30:44 AM
Hi everyone; I got my score today: 236/98. I did the exam a couple of weeks back; and my experience is that there is a remarkable similarity between the UW questions and the questions in the real exam.

The questions were very very long some 2-3 paragraphs long! and in some blocks I was rushing cos I barely had enough time. Asides that, I think the UWqB does offer a fair covereage of what to expect in the exam. In fact I saw a few questions that were almost verbatim when compared to the ones on UW.

My scores in the UWqB were average; but I managed to cover all questions with a 66% overall average; and I only did it once- all on timed mode; then I did the wrong answers on tutor mode reading the explanations carefully.

I just want to thank everyone- docmae, snlidr and co for all the advice we shared and good luck to the rest who are yet to do the exam.

12/24/2009 3:36:20 AM
congrats samory! great score.

I have just started uworld 4 days back. Started off with surgery doing subject wise. Only when i do these questions do i realise that i have not emphasized on reading certain points.

Will keep you all posted of my progress.

12/24/2009 2:21:30 PM
Congrats Samory
you really deserve it, I wish you the best

12/30/2009 2:44:27 PM
Hi guys
How is it going?
I finished my first round of USMLE and first aid, surprisingly my worst percentile was for Psychiatry (71%), I thought it should be easy, but it was not, I'm going to read Blueprints in Psychiatry, my overall performance is still 79% on 94 percentile, I found OBG the easiest.
Do you know any other way to imporve Psychiatry?
Thanks

pages: 1 2 3

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK