form 186 help

6/1/2009 9:21:37 PM
Hi,
I read that form 186 can also be signed by a notary, is it true. I am USA and applying for my step 1. I cannot get it signed from my School. They are hard to deal with when no one personally present there.
Also, I read about this new rule on ECFMG website, that even if you get it signed by notary, you still have to get it signed by your school official.
Any insight?

6/2/2009 9:23:57 AM
Thank you Surewill.
Do you know about the new rule that we cannot register to give any steps before we get certified with this 186? is it in effect?

6/2/2009 11:14:03 AM
Hi...
I actually called them and I sent my 186 form at the beginning of May. The news came out on May 20th and the person at ECFMG said most likely they'll reject my application because 186 has to be notarized here (since I'm in U.S.) and then signed by an authorized official in your school. I thought since mine was turned in way earlier than before the change, it would be accepted at least for the 1st step I've applied to...but that's not the case. When I printed it out, it only had to be notarized here...but they won't accept that. If you go back to IWA, if your 186 was an older form when you printed it out, they've actually placed the new 186 form there that has to be signed by both the Notary Public and a School Official...
hope this helps.
edited by NiteshR on 6/2/2009

6/2/2009 11:54:23 AM
Thanks.
It makes sense now.
Atleast I have the hold on 186 and send it personally to the school. because last time my school just said that they did not receive it. Now, after the school receives it do they have to send it to ECFMG directly or...?
Also, I am confused with forms 344 and 345. Now, do these also need to be send to my school or ECFMG sends them to my school. Because my school "WILL" say they did not receive it. the problem is for every signature or confirmation from them needs to be paid certain fee. With this case, it is a request from ECFMG where no one is paying those "fees". So, it is easy for them to say the forms were not received.
Hope not deviating people from their study.

6/2/2009 2:09:51 PM
Actually I don't know about 344 and 345...those have to be filled out by you. As far as I'm understanding and what the representative at ECFMG said, you only need to have 186 notarized and then you send it to your school. An authorized official from your schools signs it and it HAS TO BE SEND DIRECTLY FROM YOUR SCHOOL TO ECFMG. If it's not sent to ECFMG from your school then they will NOT accept it. The 344 and 345 have to be filled out by you...so I don't think your school needs to send those...unless your application has been approved by ECFMG and then they have sent those to your school to have them signed. In that case, your school will need to send those. At least this is how it was when I sent the application...I don't think process has been modified for 344 and 345...you may call ECFMG to find out. Please let me know if you find out otherwise.

You may have someone check at your school if they've received the documents or not...so at least you'll know the status.

6/2/2009 3:20:47 PM
Thank you NiteshR

9/21/2009 1:55:01 PM
What will happen to the eligibility period opted if 186 is not accepted and eligibility period starts?

will it be extended of its own or an online application will be required to be sent?

Please advice

9/21/2009 6:00:13 PM
drvinaygupta wrote:
What will happen to the eligibility period opted if 186 is not accepted and eligibility period starts?

will it be extended of its own or an online application will be required to be sent?

Please advice

I think until they accept your application (which includes acceptance of 186 form), you will not get your assigned test period. So for example, if you've signed up for June-July-August and your 186 is not verified until August 30th...then they will move it to the next one (July-August-September).
I think it says on their website that the application must be complete by the 25th in your eligibility period....may need to check if they've changed anything...or you can call/e-mail Ecfmg.

The following is on their website: link

"To obtain a Step 1 or Step 2 CK eligibility period, ECFMG must receive the on-line part of your application, the Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) or Certification Statement (Form 183), and any other required documents by the 24th day of the eligibility period you select and the processing of your application must be completed by the 25th day of that eligibility period. This means that, although you can select an eligibility period as late as the 24th day of that eligibility period, there is no guarantee that you will be assigned that eligibility period, since the processing of your application may not be completed by the 25th day of the eligibility period. If the processing of your application is not completed in time to assign the eligibility period you select, you will be assigned the next eligibility period. You must read the editions of the ECFMG Information Booklet and USMLE Bulletin of Information that pertain to the eligibility period in which you take the exam. Your assigned eligibility period will not be adjusted to compensate for days that have already passed. The eligibility period assigned to you will be listed on your scheduling permit."
edited by NiteshR on 9/21/2009

9/22/2009 12:42:11 PM
thanks Surewill for your advice. I have already written to ECFMG.

9/22/2009 12:48:51 PM
The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) is unable to process the
Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) for your on-line application submitted July 19, 2009
for the reason described below.
Your Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) must be signed by an appropriate
official as outlined below.
Therefore, to be registered for the USMLE Step you requested, you must reapply by submitting a
new Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) completed in its entirety.

If you are a medical school graduate, your Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) must be
signed and dated, in ink, by a Consular Official, First Class Magistrate, Notary Public or
Commissioner of Oaths. The official's formal title and institution must also be listed. English
translations must be provided for all information that is not in English. The stamp or seal must
cover a portion of your photograph and the Certification of Identification Form (Form 186).

ECFMG has recently sent a request to your medical school for a list of the medical school officials
who are currently authorized to certify Certification of Identification Forms (Form 186) and
Certification Statements (Form 183). Contact your medical school to explain the importance that
the school provide the list of authorized medical school officials to ECFMG immediately. If your
medical school has any questions concerning the certification of Form 186, the school should
contact ECFMG at [email protected]. This email address is for the use of medical school
officials only.
To be registered, you must submit a new Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) with any
appropriate documentation as outlined above. You can do this by accessing the Interactive Web
Application (IWA) at www.ecfmg.org. Under On-Line Services, click on IWA. At the next screen
enter your USMLE/ECFMG Identification Number and your on-line services password. Next,
choose Login Now. Under Print/ Reprint Documents, choose Reprint your Certification of
Identification Form (Form 186).
We will hold the on-line part of your application until July 19, 2010. This deadline date is twelve
months from the original date the CIF was created. If we do not receive a properly completed
Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) by July 19, 2010 any application submitted up to
July 19, 2010 will be rejected.
If the on-line part of your application includes a request to extend a USMLE eligibility period, the
properly completed Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) must be received and processed
by the published deadline date, which is earlier than twelve months. You may review the current
ECFMG Information Booklet and USMLE Bulletin of Information from the ECFMG website
Dear Nitesh Please advice on last paragraph.

9/22/2009 1:29:37 PM
The 186 form processing was changed a few months back. If you're in your home country, then you can just have it signed by Dean and have them send it to the Ecfmg directly. If you're in U.S., then you have to have the form notarized here by a Notary Public....and then send that form to your College and have it signed by the Dean or anyone authorized to sign it. It must be then sent to the Ecfmg directly from your college or it will not be accepted. You can log onto IWA and click on reprint 186....it should give you an option to print this form.

12/17/2013 6:00:06 PM
please i need help too i am student in 5th year i am apply to step 1 in one the item asked internship( star and finish dates) i think internship in 6th year forthat what should i do ?
another question i read in ecfmg booklet they said if medical school participate to portal website student must send form 186
but all my freinds say student must send form 183 please i need answer really

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK