***NBME form 6 Please help.. Exam next week***

5/21/2011 7:58:52 PM
Going to add my 2cents here so you don't get some of the questions wrong.

Going to start with the Suicide behavioral question:
SAD PERSONS is a point scale that people use
S: Male sex → 1
A: Age <19 or >45 years → 1
D: Depression or hopelessness → 2
P: Previous suicidal attempts or psychiatric care → 1
E: Excessive ethanol or drug use → 1
R: Rational thinking loss (psychotic or organic illness) → 2
S: Single, widowed or divorced → 1
O: Organized or serious attempt → 2
N: No social support → 1
S: Stated future intent (determined to repeat or ambivalent) → 2

The risk factor that concerned the greatest in this man will therefore be the fact that he believed that the drug would have killed him. Not his gender.

The other behavioral/biostat questions. The median of the children.
What they've given you here is a histiogram of frequencies that children have UTI's
So you take the total number of children, which is 25+30+10+35 = 100
To normally get the median you find the middle number, but in this case since we have an even number, we just take the 2 middle numbers, so we want number 50 and 51 or 49 and 50 (depends on if you want the upper or lower median, but we don't need to go into that)
So what's going to be within the first 50 numbers? 1, because there are 25 kids with 0 UTIs and 30 kids with 1 UTI. So if we wrote out all the numbers, (0,0,0,0,1,1,1,...,2,2,2,3,3,3) then #50 and #51 would be 1's, so the average of that is the median, therefore the answer is 1.

The rest I believe are right.
edited by kamia121 on 5/21/2011

5/23/2011 2:41:29 AM
Hi Kamia

Thanks for the reply very informative

the biostat question makes sense and u are right

regarding the suicide scale
u choose the fact that he believed that the drug would have killed him as rational thinking loss scores 2 points on the scale and male gender scores 1 so the former one is a better option than male gender am i right

kamia121 wrote:
Going to add my 2cents here so you don't get some of the questions wrong.

Going to start with the Suicide behavioral question:
SAD PERSONS is a point scale that people use
S: Male sex → 1
A: Age <19 or >45 years → 1
D: Depression or hopelessness → 2
P: Previous suicidal attempts or psychiatric care → 1
E: Excessive ethanol or drug use → 1
R: Rational thinking loss (psychotic or organic illness) → 2
S: Single, widowed or divorced → 1
O: Organized or serious attempt → 2
N: No social support → 1
S: Stated future intent (determined to repeat or ambivalent) → 2

The risk factor that concerned the greatest in this man will therefore be the fact that he believed that the drug would have killed him. Not his gender.

The other behavioral/biostat questions. The median of the children.
What they've given you here is a histiogram of frequencies that children have UTI's
So you take the total number of children, which is 25+30+10+35 = 100
To normally get the median you find the middle number, but in this case since we have an even number, we just take the 2 middle numbers, so we want number 50 and 51 or 49 and 50 (depends on if you want the upper or lower median, but we don't need to go into that)
So what's going to be within the first 50 numbers? 1, because there are 25 kids with 0 UTIs and 30 kids with 1 UTI. So if we wrote out all the numbers, (0,0,0,0,1,1,1,...,2,2,2,3,3,3) then #50 and #51 would be 1's, so the average of that is the median, therefore the answer is 1.

The rest I believe are right.
edited by kamia121 on 5/21/2011

5/23/2011 10:23:23 AM
Yep,

If you consider and really read into the answer choices, the fact that he took the pills signifies that he had a organize a serious attempt to kill himself, O --> 2 points. There of course are many other factors. The fact that he is Male, and his Age, but both of these only are 1 point considered on the SAD PERSONS scale. So it's his attempt that is the most dangerous.

Otherwise, you'd really have tho choose between Age and Sex
The 3rd greatest risk of death in 65+ people is suicide
Males are more likely to succeed in suicide, but women are more likely to try.
Temazepam is also considered a short acting BZN and can be used more safe in elderly patients, because of its short sedative effect. However, it is CI in people with extreme depression and suicide ideations.

5/23/2011 3:57:15 PM
thanks for the info :-)

7/1/2013 12:57:45 AM
[quote=wiwi18024815]I think 5. should be A because cases got fish oil and controls got olive oil[/quote]

But case control study is Retrospective...u see what happened?
and in cohort u see what will happen?[/quote]

I think the answer is controlled trial.. First of all, it's not observational study, there's intervention involved, so it cannot be observational study like cohort(prospective) or case-control(retrospective).
It is a small group clinical trial, without cross over, it must be controlled trial with a control group receiving a placebo and the other group receiving experimental treatment. It is not randomized, or double blind to prevent the bias.. That's what i can think of

7/1/2013 1:56:35 PM
[quote=aquresh1][quote=wiwi18024815]I think 5. should be A because cases got fish oil and controls got olive oil[/quote]

But case control study is Retrospective...u see what happened?
and in cohort u see what will happen?[/quote]

Case control studies look for a difference between cases and control groups. They can be both retro and prospective
edited by aquresh1 on 5/15/2011[/quote]

But in Case controle studies, there is a group with the disease and a group WITHOUT the disease. Here, both the groups have the disease, IgA nepropathy.

pages: 1 2

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK