PLZ ANS THIS Q

12/20/2010 12:50:25 AM
Q1..A newborn has external genitalia that appear to be female. However, the vagina ends as a blind pouch. Chromosome analysis shows a 46,XY karyotype. Which of the following is the most likely explanation for the physical findings?

A) Abnormal androgen receptors
B) Absence of the sex-determining region on the Y chromosome
C) Gonadal dysgenesis
D) Increased fetal concentration of estrogen
E) Increased fetal concentration of testosterone

12/20/2010 1:36:54 AM
Answer is A

12/20/2010 1:08:48 PM
More important than any kind of answer is
WHY you were confused about this?
I think it was very simple and straight.
If you have any problems in these Qs,
I advise you to go through a single page in CK Gynec book[Kaplan][or any book with table of breast+uterus-
breast-uterus+ sort of analysis].
It has a very neat and nice table and algorithm.
End of all confusion.
best luck.

12/20/2010 5:13:43 PM
The answer is " A " .The question stem gives a straight forward description of Androgen insensitivity syndrome.

12/20/2010 8:28:54 PM
HMMM THANKS I WILL....I WAS CONFUSED IN A/B....

PLZ GIVE ANSWER TO THIS Q...AFTER ACCIDENT WHICH AREA SPECIFICALLY DERANGED PITUTARY HORMONE......I KNOW THAT MCA SHOULD BE THE CULPRIT VESSEL FOR HAEMATOMA....IN THAT CASE....NEED SOME EXPLANATION TOO..

A 19-year-old man is brought to the emergency department after hitting his head on the pavement when he fell off his motorcycle. An MRI of his head shows a transection of the pituitary stalk. Which of the following patterns best describes the secretion of pituitary hormones in this patient?

ACTH FSH Growth Hormone Prolactin TSH
A)  ↑ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

B)  ↓ ↑ ↓ ↓ ↓
C)  ↓ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↓
D)  ↓ ↓ ↓ ↑ DECREASE
E)  ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↑
F)  ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

12/20/2010 11:11:47 PM
caca34226731 wrote:
HMMM THANKS I WILL....I WAS CONFUSED IN A/B....

PLZ GIVE ANSWER TO THIS Q...AFTER ACCIDENT WHICH AREA SPECIFICALLY DERANGED PITUTARY HORMONE......I KNOW THAT MCA SHOULD BE THE CULPRIT VESSEL FOR HAEMATOMA....IN THAT CASE....NEED SOME EXPLANATION TOO..

A 19-year-old man is brought to the emergency department after hitting his head on the pavement when he fell off his motorcycle. An MRI of his head shows a transection of the pituitary stalk. Which of the following patterns best describes the secretion of pituitary hormones in this patient?

ACTH FSH Growth Hormone Prolactin TSH
A)  ↑ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

B)  ↓ ↑ ↓ ↓ ↓
C)  ↓ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↓
D)  ↓ ↓ ↓ ↑ DECREASE
E)  ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↑
F)  ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

this question will test your hormone production/deposit in pituitary gland....to recall: anterior pituitary gland PRODUCES many hormones(ACTH, LH/FSH, TSH, GH) while posterior pituitary gland DEPOSITS hormones which are secreted in the brain(ADH, OXYTOCIN)....another point here is that anterior pituitary gland is under control of hypothalamus through some hormones: CRH for ACTH, TRH for TSH, GnRH for FSH/LH, GHRH for GH....if you have a problem between hypothalamus and pituitary gland, ALL the hormones synthetised in anterior pituitary are lost and all the hypothalamic hormones are sky high due to loss of negative feedback....from this point of wiev you should be able to narrow your answers only to those where you see low ACTH, GH, FSH, LH, TSH; the only exception from this rule is prolactin...prolactin in synthetised in anterior pituitary but instead of being stimulated by hypothalamic hormone just like the other pituitary hormones, is inhibited by dopamine(tuberoinfundibular path); so in this case because dopamine 'can't reach' anterior pituitary, prolactin level will go up....so my opinion is that the correct answer id D(all hormones are decreased except prolactin which is increased)....i hope this young man didn't loose pituitary gland blood suplly during that accident....in this case due to ischemia/infarction of pituitary, all the hormones should be low, including prolactin(choice F)-there is no clue in the scenario about this posibility.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK