Passed in 75 Questions- Advice and personal story

7/19/2018 8:59:10 AM
I chose to only use Uworld during my preparation for the NCLEX. Many of my peers I graduated with chose to do both or just Kaplan, which made me nervous. I am so glad I chose Uworld. The test interface is literally exactly like the actual boards ( the exhibits, calculator, all of it). The rationales are 10/10 helpful with multiple topics, mnemonics, diagrams and easy to follow information. I started studying for the exam 2 weeks after graduation (second week in June) and took the boards on the 11th of July. That said I studied for about a month taking breaks when I felt I needed it most (weekends and a few days here and there). The only prep I did before graduation was the graded Lippincott Passpoint quizzes assigned each week for a senior nursing course.. needless to say I got little out of the Lippincott Program.

I passed the exam in 75 Questions and here is how:

When I started studying I always did practice questions in groups of 75. I would try and do 75 questions each day, if not two 75 Question exams towards the end of my studying about a week in a half in advance. This really got me in the mindset of stamina. Regardless of my results I just kept pushing through the material. I would take each question using tutor mode and use the flag option to flag questions I wanted to take notes on later (content either unfamiliar or that I had answered incorrectly). Then I would go back after completing the 75 question exam and take notes on paper on the topics I flagged and how I could think through the question differently the next time. Even if I continued to get some topics wrong, I would still retake notes on it, which really helped me solidify the information in my brain.
I would bundle the content into each exam meaning each 75 question exam was from one subject area using all of the systems for each. This helped my brain at first, decreasing my overwhelm and allowing for maximum retention. When I felt I had mastered a subject I would move on. A day before the exam I took one of the practice exams that comes with the Uworld bundle- I scored 95th percentile and felt confident I prepared well for the exam.
Overall I only answered 1374 questions - of which I completed 60% (829) correctly and 40% (545) incorrectly. My scores were ranked 76th percentile.

My recommendation is to trust in your preparation and listen to your intuition. You are the expert, you know how you study, what will work for you, you know yourself and you can do this. I had so much doubt before and after the exam especially when it shut off at 75 questions; I nearly thought I failed... To my surprise all my preparation and trust paid off. Nursing is not easy, so give yourself some self love and listen to what your brain/body is asking for during your preparation. If you feel like going for a walk, do it. If you feel like taking a day to sleep, do it! You will retain so much more when you make yourself right for whatever your intuition is telling you... making yourself wrong for things you innately want is tough, but we all do it. Some days I would study and do the practice exams with World Cup soccer on in the background... or eat mid-day ice cream. Others I would workout in the morning and then feel super prepared for a long day of studying. Whatever it was I feeling that day I just did it.

The NCLEX and my preparation taught me a lot about myself.. and a lot about how harsh of a critic we can be to ourselves. Hang in there, good luck and I hope this helps at least a little!

7/19/2018 3:07:52 PM
Thank you for your story.
I loved it! Gave me some hope. I've been feeling so burnt out by how many rationales I'm trying to retain and then beating myself up for forgetting it. Feels like all this work for nothing. Like you said though, push through with trust!

7/19/2018 3:34:16 PM
BIG CONGRATS!! I JUST TOOK A BREAK FROM STUDIES AND READ YOUR WONDERFUL TESTIMONY. IT IS VERY RN-COURAGING AND TIMELY TOO.

6/5/2019 3:36:07 PM
Good motivation

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK