Got my result today and thrilled!

3/23/2016 10:57:59 AM
Hi everyone, I am an IMG from the PH and I just want to share my experience on step 1 to inspire my fellow IMG takers. I took mine last March 2, and just got my result a while ago. I graduated last April 2014 and finished my internship April 2015. Here is my preparation:

Materials: FA 2015 + Uworld only
Study Time: Approximately 4 months (November - February)

November: First fast read of FA (around 10 days),
then i took my NBME 15: 213,
then 2nd detailed reading of FA (until end of month)

December-February: Uworld I only do 1 block a day, and seriously annotate my FA (for e.g. 1 question about Aortic Stenosis, I annotate the page on Valvular diseases and differentiate AS on other valve dse) very tedious, and i do that for every question that is why i can only finish 1 block a day.

Mid January: took my NBME 16: 241, i was halfway with my Uworld, was lagging behind due to holidays.

February: I finished Uworld + Annotation on Feb 15 i guess.
then took UWSA 1: 247

Remaining Days: I Reread all my FA + all annotations I made, unfortunately i wasn't able to read all the topic it was too long! maybe 3-4 chapters left.

3 days before actual: NBME 17: 256
1 day before i tried to do free 150, but halfway through, i was super tired & fell asleep (please don't do this, do your free 150 earlier! i swear!)

Final Result: 256, i was so thrilled & a bit emotional after all the hard work, it paid off. My advice is that only focus on FA and Uworld! and you'll be fine!

NBME 17 was the best predictor for me.

Thank you Uworld and to this forum, which i always read for me to be motivated. If I can do it, i know you can! God bless everyone! If you have any question feel free to msg me here!
edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

3/23/2016 2:14:06 PM
Congratulations!!! Thanks for your advices and sharing your experience. That was in a record time.

3/24/2016 11:48:00 PM
Congrats on an awesome score! Im an IMG from PH as well but i graduated way back 2011 finished internship 2012... You just made me realized i shouldve done this exam sooner cause ive been trying to study for a year now and im still struggling hahaha...well goodluck with the rest of your prep 😉

3/25/2016 11:36:32 AM
IssaCornette wrote:
Congrats on an awesome score! Im an IMG from PH as well but i graduated way back 2011 finished internship 2012... You just made me realized i shouldve done this exam sooner cause ive been trying to study for a year now and im still struggling hahaha...well goodluck with the rest of your prep 😉

Thanks, its not yet too late pa naman, focus lang!, i did 12 hours of studying a day i guess on my last month, so ayun, if you need any help or motivation just send me a pvt msg! Its really hard to study alone! Lalo na dito satin! huhu. Thank you!, im starting to read MTB Step 2 CK! Im wishing you well! Gooduck sayo!

3/25/2016 11:44:20 AM
Sige PM kita later! Hahaha... Excited na nga ako mag step 2ck eh hahahaha... Feeling ko mas may alam ako dun! Haha.. Are you still in PH?

3/25/2016 11:50:04 AM
IssaCornette wrote:
Sige PM kita later! Hahaha... Excited na nga ako mag step 2ck eh hahahaha... Feeling ko mas may alam ako dun! Haha.. Are you still in PH?

Yep, im still here in PH, I just started CK 3 days ago, mas masaya sya aralin lol, i think so too mas may alam ka dun!, Step 1 was really BASIC usually the things we don't really encounter na from 1st yr medschool like DNA, krebs, enzymes, morphology, etc. things we actually hate lol kidding. Big Grin

3/25/2016 11:59:51 AM
Haha trust me i hate Biochem and Physio with a passion... Give me your email address or fb na lang para its easier to communicate since ayaw kita ma charge ng international text na 15pesos (tama ba ganun rate ng globe nung nandyan pa ko eh!) hahahaha.. I know its easier to study that according to all other people ive talked too.. Ikaw pa lang una filipino na nakausap ko dito lahat ata dito halos taga india or middle east eh.

3/25/2016 2:32:03 PM
VayneMD wrote:
Hi everyone, I am an IMG from the PH and I just want to share my experience on step 1 to inspire my fellow IMG takers. I took mine last March 2, and just got my result a while ago. I graduated last April 2014 and finished my internship April 2015. Here is my preparation:

December-February: Uworld I only do 1 block a day, and seriously annotate my FA (for e.g. 1 question about Aortic Stenosis, I annotate the page on Valvular diseases and differentiate AS on other valve dse) very tedious, and i do that for every question that is why i can only finish 1 block a day.

Mid January: took my NBME 16: 241, i was halfway with my Uworld, was lagging behind due to holidays.

Remaining Days: I Reread all my FA + all annotations I made, unfortunately i wasn't able to read all the topic it was too long! maybe 3-4 chapters left.

1 day before i tried to do free 150, but halfway through, i was super tired & fell asleep (please don't do this, do your free 150 earlier! i swear!)

Final Result: 256, i was so thrilled & a bit emotional after all the hard work, it paid off. My advice is that only focus on FA and Uworld! and you'll be fine!

Thank you Uworld and to this forum, which i always read for me to be motivated. If I can do it, i know you can! God bless everyone! If you have any question feel free to msg me here!
edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

Hi...first of all,Congratulations on that amazinggg score!It's so surprising yet inspiring how u managed to get that score with such a short prep time!Big Grin U rock:P So may i ask how hard was the exam?I mean were the questions similar to Uworld or harder?And is there anything you feel u shd have done during ur prep that u missed out?

3/25/2016 2:52:07 PM
MasterOfMasquerade wrote:
VayneMD wrote:

edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

Hi...first of all,Congratulations on that amazinggg score!It's so surprising yet inspiring how u managed to get that score with such a short prep time!Big Grin U rock:P So may i ask how hard was the exam?I mean were the questions similar to Uworld or harder?And is there anything you feel u shd have done during ur prep that u missed out?

Thank you so much, hmmm, my thoughts? The exam was fair, Uworld and FA covers the majority of the topics, but my experience was like this. First 2 blocks was so hard, I was panicking and palpitating, after that i had to take a 15 min break to compose my self. I thought ill fail the exam right at that point, but I prayed and continued, then the remaining 5 blocks were okay, some questions were easy and straight forward. I guess, what they say is true. There will be tough blocks and there will be easy ones. I was marking 10-12 questions per block. I would say the questions structure were more similar to NBMEs than Uworld, but Uworld really helped you build how to analyze, answer and eliminate choices smartly. So NBME is really a good predictor. I think if I missed something, that would be the free 150. Like what i said FREE 150 is really IMPORTANT. Best of luck buddy!

3/26/2016 11:30:33 AM
VayneMD wrote:
VayneMD wrote:

edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

Thank you so much, hmmm, my thoughts? The exam was fair, Uworld and FA covers the majority of the topics, but my experience was like this. First 2 blocks was so hard, I was panicking and palpitating, after that i had to take a 15 min break to compose my self. I thought ill fail the exam right at that point, but I prayed and continued, then the remaining 5 blocks were okay, some questions were easy and straight forward. I guess, what they say is true. There will be tough blocks and there will be easy ones. I was marking 10-12 questions per block. I would say the questions structure were more similar to NBMEs than Uworld, but Uworld really helped you build how to analyze, answer and eliminate choices smartly. So NBME is really a good predictor. I think if I missed something, that would be the free 150. Like what i said FREE 150 is really IMPORTANT. Best of luck buddy!

Wow...i see!Thank you so muchBig Grin N sorry to bother you...but i find i'm always stuck btw 2 choices after eliminating the remaining ones while doing UWorld...and i usually end up choosing the wrong one. :/ Did u feel that way too?Any tips on that?I haven't done any NBMEs yet so i'm not sure where i stand yet.But than u sooo much & All the best to u too! Big Grin

3/26/2016 11:37:34 AM
VayneMD wrote:
VayneMD wrote:

edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

Wow...i see!Thank you so muchBig Grin N sorry to bother you...but i find i'm always stuck btw 2 choices after eliminating the remaining ones while doing UWorld...and i usually end up choosing the wrong one. :/ Did u feel that way too?Any tips on that?I haven't done any NBMEs yet so i'm not sure where i stand yet.But than u sooo much & All the best to u too! Big Grin

Hmm, of course, that happened to me when i revise my marked ones and mistakes in Uworld. What i did is that, i made a Microsoft World Journal, and i made some bulleted infos/statements to those questions/concepts i got wrong twice or even thrice and i read that 2x few days before the actual day so that i will not forget those mistakes again!. you can give me your email, and ill send you my journal if you want, hope it can help you buddy! thanks! I suggest do 1 NBME to gauge where you stand now.

3/27/2016 7:37:54 PM
VayneMD wrote:

edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

Hi, many thanks for these words of advise and encouragement! God bless you. I'm currently an IMG in Dominica, I graduate from basic medical science in April and I plan to take step one in October, however, I wrote NBME12 just to check myself and scored a 166. Its a bit scary for me as I feel like I have forgotten everything I learnt in Medical school. Do you have any advise on what materials to study especially y Pathology which was my most failed section on the exam. Many thanks for your anticipated response.

3/29/2016 11:55:34 AM
@VayneMD

Yeah i guess that might help.I shall try that.
That wld be gr8!U r so kind...thank you! Email ID:[email protected]
God bless

I sent you an email, hope it helps. You're welcome!

3/29/2016 12:02:33 PM
wcqs318433 wrote:
VayneMD wrote:

edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

Hi, many thanks for these words of advise and encouragement! God bless you. I'm currently an IMG in Dominica, I graduate from basic medical science in April and I plan to take step one in October, however, I wrote NBME12 just to check myself and scored a 166. Its a bit scary for me as I feel like I have forgotten everything I learnt in Medical school. Do you have any advise on what materials to study especially y Pathology which was my most failed section on the exam. Many thanks for your anticipated response.

Hi you're welcome! Don't feel to bad on your NBME, just think you can still improve that score if you focus and give your 100% during studying! . Unfortunately, I really can't say regarding other sources since I only used FA and Uworld. Maybe Kaplan will really help if you really need to refresh the basic sciences? On Pathology, some say pathoma or goljan, but again, i'm so sorry i really can't say anything regarding those sources since I only used those 2.

4/4/2016 12:10:05 AM
Good work... congrats
I am a beginner planning to give my exam in 6 months would that be enough for preparation?

4/27/2016 1:30:58 PM
congratulations

5/10/2016 9:08:37 AM
VayneMD,

Hi, I'm trying to sit for USMLE, and my NBME are horrible so I had to post pone my exam now. I'm so lost.
Is it possible to send me your journal as well please?
Email: [email protected]

I really need help and advice. Thank you ahead
T.

5/23/2016 1:37:11 PM
congratulations!

5/23/2016 9:35:24 PM
Can u kindly send me the email , Thank you

6/26/2016 10:20:37 PM
Congrats on your score! I'm an old IMG and preparing for step 1. Using Fa, uworld and Kaplan. My NBME score is really bad and at this point I don't know what to else to do. I have to learn how to manage the time I expend during the test a little bit better. Can you please email me your journal? Thanks

6/30/2016 4:43:40 PM
congratulations on your great score. I am an IMG struggling , currently using kaplan , first aid and uworld . i can't seem to remember anything and now a days can't even study ( no motivation). What did you do to get motivated and to increase memory?
Can you please share your journal with me too? i will inbox you my email address. Salamat in advance. Akong ate studied In PH. so gamai gamai ra akong visaya

7/5/2016 8:09:27 AM
VayneMD wrote:

edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

7/5/2016 8:09:55 AM
VayneMD wrote:

edited by on 3/23/2016
edited by on 3/23/2016

7/5/2016 8:10:35 AM
Hi can you send me journal you spoke about.
Thanks Sk

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK