My CS exam experience (passed on 1st attempt)

10/16/2014 1:22:13 PM
First of all the actual exam was easier than I thought and most of the simulated patients were nice and cooperative.

Study resources: FA (3rd edition) and Kaplan's core cases. I also used help of my skype study partners but I believe one can prepare for this exam without study partners. Self-practicing in front of the mirror will do it too.
NB: don't forget about FA mini cases (important!!!), and practice them as you would do with practice cases.

Time for preparation: 2 months full time (8-9 hrs/day, every day except Sat and Sun. Doing well on step 2 CK helped tremendously otherwise my CS preparation would have taken me longer.

Actual exam: to save time I sanitized my hands (instead of washing/using gloves) but in 4 cases I heard: "Examines you must leave the room now" when I was in the middle of closure. I had to say to the SPs: "I'm sorry I have to answer to this emergency page but I will get back to you as soon as I can". I also shook their hands and gave them a warm smile Because of my not so fast typing in 5 patient notes I wasn't able to put all the information I gathered from the SPs but I tried my best to make my PNs look as complete as possible (started from entering DDx, then work up, and lastly H and P)and made sure the key info for DDx/justifications was there! As for English and communication skills I had no problems.

Conclusion: In my opinion ICE component of the exam is the most challenging part in terms of being able to gather pertinent diagnostic information and then transcribe it into PNs logically given the time constraints.

Good luck to everybody! It's a very doable exam!

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK