Got my score 218

9/13/2013 12:15:17 AM
I got my score a few days ago. Its 218. Its a bit less than I expected so I'm not sure how I should feel about it.
Is it a good enough score for an IMG for Internal Medicine or Family Medicine? Would appreciate some input. Thanx

9/13/2013 1:28:12 AM
Bushra87 wrote:
I got my score a few days ago. Its 218. Its a bit less than I expected so I'm not sure how I should feel about it.
Is it a good enough score for an IMG for Internal Medicine or Family Medicine? Would appreciate some input. Thanx

Hey, Congrats!! its great and you will be fine. I have heard about people getting into it fine with lower score. your score is good.

anyways, how was it? Any tips? I am thinking about taking it around early dec. Would appreciate it if you would share your experience and what you did to prep?

9/13/2013 2:07:22 AM
Bushra87 wrote:

yes we have people in our program was less less than that around 205 and they got residency so u fine now stay focus with step 2 and cs and enjoy ur celebration with step1
Regard
www.usmlesmart.com

9/13/2013 2:08:43 AM
Thanx! That's good to hear

Yup glad to help. I did Kaplan lecture notes plus lectures twice. Then I did Uworld once and added the explanations to First Aid. I was only able to do uworld once, but I think if u have time u should do it twice because the questions on the exam are very similar to it. Even if u can't do all of it twice, review the questions u get wrong. NEVER be scared of doing questions.. the more questions u do, the better. Then I did first aid almost 3 times. First Aid needs to be memorized for Step1 because every line in it is a potential exam question. The only extra book I did was 100 medical ethics cases by Conrad fischer.. it really helped me with behavior science. And its a fun read.
And for images I did the Webpath site once. And for radiology there are 2 great sites. Here are the links:
http://www.med.wayne.edu/diagradiology/anatomy_modules/page1.html
http://www.med.harvard.edu/AANLIB/home.html
Do them near the exam.. even if u don't get time to do em all, the images in uworld should be sufficient so no worries. A good idea would be to take an hour out for images near the end.

As for the exam day, I found it was more a game of stamina than anything. U start getting fatigued in the 5th block, the key is to be aware of that and just fight it off and power through. Even if one or two blocks are tough, never panic, stay relaxed. I took 5 minute breaks after each block. And then one 15minute break after block 4 for lunch. Its a good idea to splash some water on ur face after block 5 and 6. It helped me a lot. NEVER waste time on calculations... if a calculation question is taking more than 3 min, just pick one randomly and move on. Bcoz wasting time on a question like that can compromise the rest of ur block.

The one thing that helped me the most is that when I did UWSA2, I added 3 random uworld blocks to its 4 blocks, and simulated a whole exam day of seven blocks. This helped me assess breaktime and when I get tired and how to fight it.

As for self-assessments, I did uwsa1 and 2 in the last 2 weeks with the following results:
UWSA1: 221
UWSA2: 242
Yup, uwsa2 totally overpredicted. I wanted to do nbme7 cuz its the best predictor, but I ran out of time cuz I was already in my extended period. And I didn't wanna panic too close to the exam. But if u have time definitely do it. But about a month before, so u can work on ur weak areas.

For bicochem cycles and biostat formulas, I made lots of sticky notes and would look at em often in the last month. Helped a lot.

That's about it.
All the best!

9/13/2013 12:10:24 PM
Thanks for sharing Bushra. This is very motivational.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK