how to study better?

6/12/2013 3:05:44 PM
i have been preparing for step1 since few months and i feel like i know nothing.please kindly suggest how to study properly.i have been using kaplan lecture notes and videos.but gained nothing .what to do?

6/12/2013 5:11:11 PM
You need to do qbank!!!!

6/17/2013 12:07:35 AM
The only way you can test yourself is doing questions. That's active learning. The more questions you do, the more you learn. I started doing Kaplan qbank and when I was about 60% done I bought uworld and start doing one bank of each, until I finished qbank (including the incorrect). Then I continue just with uworld (doing incorrect). I have been told usmlerx is a good bank, that helps you in the revision of the First Aid. Also I heard usmle consult is a good bank (reviewed by Dr. Goljan). Basically, most of the students do Kaplan Qbank and UWorld, but you also can try the demos of the other banks. Start doing 1 bank (46 questions) and reviewing all of them, with more emphasis in the incorrect (and the ones you guess). One week later or so, you can start doing 2 banks or more. When finish, do banks with the incorrect.
Don't get frustrated if in your first banks your score is low. This will improve with practice. For a lot of questions, the knowledge is there, but the process in the interpretation of the question (the meaning) is the hard part. For other questions is like "What are they talking about????", but a question is always a way to learn something you didn't know and also reinforce what yo already know.
Good luck
edited by IsabelSchaffry-Velez on 6/17/2013

6/17/2013 4:13:55 PM
hi everyone.thank you so much for reply . but the problem is each time when i read lecture notes at the end i remember nothing so i go back again .and i am scared to start q bank because i feel like my basic is still weak.i dont know how long it will take or may be i am not good enough .
IsabelSchaffry-Velez wrote:
The only way you can test yourself is doing questions. That's active learning. The more questions you do, the more you learn. I started doing Kaplan qbank and when I was about 60% done I bought uworld and start doing one bank of each, until I finished qbank (including the incorrect). Then I continue just with uworld (doing incorrect). I have been told usmlerx is a good bank, that helps you in the revision of the First Aid. Also I heard usmle consult is a good bank (reviewed by Dr. Goljan). Basically, most of the students do Kaplan Qbank and UWorld, but you also can try the demos of the other banks. Start doing 1 bank (46 questions) and reviewing all of them, with more emphasis in the incorrect (and the ones you guess). One week later or so, you can start doing 2 banks or more. When finish, do banks with the incorrect.
Don't get frustrated if in your first banks your score is low. This will improve with practice. For a lot of questions, the knowledge is there, but the process in the interpretation of the question (the meaning) is the hard part. For other questions is like "What are they talking about????", but a question is always a way to learn something you didn't know and also reinforce what yo already know.
Good luck

6/19/2013 10:35:11 AM
rp0064 wrote:
hi everyone.thank you so much for reply . but the problem is each time when i read lecture notes at the end i remember nothing so i go back again .and i am scared to start q bank because i feel like my basic is still weak.i dont know how long it will take or may be i am not good enough .
IsabelSchaffry-Velez wrote:
Good luck

hi all,

i have the same problem, i am scared if my basics are not strong, and if i had wasted a little long time taking things easily. i kept on reading kaplan notes, and at the end i dont remember anything! i then decided to do the uworld, which in the beginning was heartbreaking. i get low scores. i am hoping my scores will improve with practice,so i keep doing. i have decided to take as much time it takes.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK