usmle step 1 exam experience

4/3/2013 11:38:21 PM
Hi all,
First of all i hope the success for all in this exam .
im an IMG graduated 5 years ago and practice as general physician at my country .
i did my exam in thurs march 14 and took the result today morning .
sorry if my language is not perfect but english is my 2nd language so forgive me for any spelling error .

before i start my exam prep i need to tell u that nothing impossible that in 2010 i had very bad car accident with multiple facial and orbital bones fractures and 2 ribs fractures and i did 2 operation at my face and this affect my ability to study or sit infront the pc for very long time but thank god that my eyes sensetivity start to decrease gradually so i decided either to enter residency at my country that i become older or to study for usmle so dont give up and keep working hard even if u had struggles or obstacles at ur life .

so i decided to study for usmle in the end of august 2012 and i knew it will be long and hard journey for me because i graduated long time ago and i was really bad in basic material.
i picked kaplan notes and videos to start by them and i watched all the videos because i need to understand the concepts tested by usmle .
after i watched the videos i start my 1st time reading at first aid .
then i did half of uworld qbank with 58 % .
then i read 1st aid for the 2nd time with my uworld notes .
then i did the rest of u world with 64 % overall correct
then i read 1st aid for the 3rd time with my u world notes .
then i did the wrong and marked questions at u world .
then i read 1st aid for the 4th time and my uworld notes and ethical khans cases because i was weak in doctor patient relationship questions and i think it was somewhat helpful in the exam because i had alot of these questions in the real deal .
then i made the last fast revision before the exam .

my simulated exams
nbme 11 was 231 [60 days prior]
nbme 12 was 221 [45 days prior]
uwsa 1 was 252 [ 38 days ]
uwsa 2 was 257 [ 30 days ]
nbme 13 was 242 [ 16 days ]
nbme 15 + 7 was 235 + 224 [ 3 days ]
real deal was 225
i know its not from the best results but thank god that at least im not below the average .
the exam in general was not strange for me and even i expect better result , so the big issue is not the exam day itself rather that the hard job u need to prep for this exam .

N.B what im sure about it that the exam doesnt reflect the correct questions u have in the exam and dont forget that u have experimental questions that u dont know how many and which ones, sometimes easy questions are experimental.

N.B i advice all dont leave weak subjects without make it stronger because u dont know which subjects will ask more at each individual exam .

also what i noticed at the exam and i swear god for that there is some questions that are 1 and even half line and other questions are 2 lines and there are alot of 3 line questions so i think the last nbme exams reflect the exact length of the exam , the real exam is not longer .

finally good luck for all

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK