a BIZARRE Problem right at the end of my prep.

3/21/2013 6:30:55 AM
Guys im going through a bizarre problem.

they say usmle exam is about 2 main thngs. 1 knowledge and 2nd application of that knowledge.
I seem to have done everything. Kaplan notes 3 times, UWorld 3 TIMES so by so, i answer question just by looking at the options. MTB multiple times. kaplan qbank 2 times.

the real problem comes when i attempt an nbme to check my strength
NBME 4 193,

2 weeks later NBME 2 198

last month of my quarter is April. I seem to have gather all the information. u ask my anything and i will answer you. problem occurs when i attempt the nbme block or
any mixed new block. i seem to have a real trouble in the execution of that knowledge.

i am normally left with 10-15 minutes at the end of every block so time is not an issue, never has been.

i am literally stuck. i have done all the material i had to do. i have mastered all the information i needed to.
i just cannot execute that information and make it of use . i do it to a certain extent but not enough to score high, as i have very low step 1 score.

someone, tell me something, anything,. any technique, any mental excercise, any new thing to do. so that the second part of my usmle prep is complete.
so that i can do multiple blocks and apply that knowledge

please

thank you.

3/21/2013 12:39:38 PM
ADILTOTTIA wrote:

they say usmle exam is about 2 main thngs. 1 knowledge and 2nd application of that knowledge.
I seem to have done everything. Kaplan notes 3 times, UWorld 3 TIMES so by so, i answer question just by looking at the options. MTB multiple times. kaplan qbank 2 times.

NBME 4 193,

last month of my quarter is April. I seem to have gather all the information. u ask my anything and i will answer you. problem occurs when i attempt the nbme block or
any mixed new block. i seem to have a real trouble in the execution of that knowledge.

i am normally left with 10-15 minutes at the end of every block so time is not an issue, never has been.

i am literally stuck. i have done all the material i had to do. i have mastered all the information i needed to.
i just cannot execute that information and make it of use . i do it to a certain extent but not enough to score high, as i have very low step 1 score.

someone, tell me something, anything,. any technique, any mental excercise, any new thing to do. so that the second part of my usmle prep is complete.

please

thank you.

Hi...I think your prep is v good.
try doing only mixed blocks daily till last day of your exam.don't do the questions which you have already done coz you know the answer. try doing new questions.
I know step 2 is knowing facts, but in some places we have to know the concepts, try focusing on that , may be that can help .. just my 2 words.

3/21/2013 12:54:45 PM
thanks for the input. really appreciate it.

the worst thing is, its been one month since my uworld ended and i feel like im losing Pace, Energy, Focus and sleep hours have increased. its like im going into depression as i have gained a lot of weight in this prep.

multiple factors making it more difficult

3/21/2013 2:43:39 PM
you are getting an understanding of what they are asking of you on UWORLD, but your general knowledge is not good enough to answer NBME questions when they twist the concept/subject matter around on the NBME. the concept is the same as uworld, but the question is worded differently so you need to boost up your underlying knowledge on the concepts not just memorize what's going on in uworld..except some basic thing, pharma, and genetic diseases most of that is just rote memorization. work not harder, but more efficiently. don't try to know everything. follow your MTB. you pretty much need to know all the concepts of MTB and kaplan..you will never know everything just face the truth. the quicker you realize your not gonna know everything the better you will do. you need to learn the root concept of what is going on because if they twist the question, but the concept is the same..you'll get the answer right, but if you just memorize 1 fact they can ask a question and it won't make any sense to you.
when you do UWORLD make sure you are understanding the educational objectives and memorize key facts.
but also understand that you must be able to recite this stuff in your sleep. the facts of where hydroylsation of collagen happens, ASD, VSD, ecg changes, vaccination schedule, CAD equivalents,...and 1000s of of more concepts. i would try doing UWORLD in tutor mode subject by subject and learn from it. use it as a learning tool not a testing tool. testing tools are NBME and UWSA. make sure you understand what is going on in the question so even if they twist the words around you have a basic understanding of the root disease. you should know by the end of reading the question what is the problem, what is the disease, and how are you going to treat this specific case. that is why you are having trouble with your NBME.

3/21/2013 11:27:47 PM
so what do you suggest at this stage?

3/27/2013 7:00:01 PM
i think u should change up your bank to see how well you can apply your knowledge. Maybe switching to Kaplan and still doing UW every day to keep up your confidence level. Sometimes nbme's can be frustrating. Try taking the UWSA instead and go from there. Your close. You just need to reitorate you knowledge and be able to spit it back out

3/28/2013 12:46:21 AM
ADILTOTTIA wrote:

NBME 4 193,

2 weeks later NBME 2 198

please

thank you.

hey i completely agree with your problem becoz i am on the same boat as you. cant do much buddy, seriously i actually feel like asking this question to 99ers and those with 230 scores and up "what is it exactly they do that i dont" now the last resort is you know the nbme style of questions those are the same mode of questioning in boards so when you read ur material try fashioning or asking ur self a question in that manner in which nbme frames their question, its quiet different from what they ask in the u world. this is my idea how it works i really dont know, my exams on 9th april. all the best. hope god brings out some good for people like you and me and many others sailing in the same boat.

4/2/2013 1:46:37 AM
ADILTOTTIA wrote:

NBME 4 193,

2 weeks later NBME 2 198

please

thank you.

Hello!

Your problem is not having a CLEAR concept. If you take the exam in next 1-2 weeks your score will not be much different from NBME. You have figured out the question and you can match them with the answers easily ... how? because you are good at memory... but you're missing the clear difference b/w two similar presenting conditions... pay close attention and try to UNDERSTAND why the right answer is right and why is the wrong answer is wrong.

You need to do Kaplan Q bank. You will understand things more clearly so that when they change the words on real exam... you will not be confused.

Good luck!

4/6/2013 5:42:50 PM
Thank You everyone

i really appreciate the input.

My exam is now on 18th April.

I have took some of the advice. In the past 10 days, i have done 60% of UWorld qbank, again, but this time, in a book reading manner where i read in between the lines right down to the educational objective.

i will not take anymore mock tests. i will go straight into the exam with the uworld flow. im planning to finish the bank by 12th, and then doing MTB2 n MTB3 (obgyn/peds only) in last 5 days..

Best of luck to the guy whose exam is on 9th. May ALLAH help us all

4/10/2013 3:02:34 PM
best of luck to you. please let us know how it goes!

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK