Feeling after the exam!!!

10/18/2015 1:13:03 AM
I'm an IMG. It's been few days when I took the exam. Unlike other exams this was all in the midst of interview scheduling and preparation for the interviews falling just after it. I wanted to get done with it especially as I am looking for flexibility in visa. People in different forums have attached variable significance to this exam's score, but most have agreed that passing is almost all that's required until you need it to prove some point. For my exam I felt almost as horrible after the first day as I had felt in Step 1, on the 2nd day i made mistakes in MCQs but still felt better there, but despite practicing all CCS cases so many times I did umpteen mistakes in almost all cases and mismanaged more than 4-5 cases, my partner taking exam on the same day did not get any recognisable case which we practiced. For the record our UWSA was 224/229, not too high, but we thought we should take it, couldn't delay any further. I almost feel like I'd fail, just hoping that as I felt similar in all prior steps and still did pretty decent on them may be things might turn well, but the true feeling is that "How'd I pass?" and "Please, I don't want to take this exam again.". I don't know how there are so many people who do not feel like that in any exam. On the first day I could not even read the whole question many times. Just hoping for the best, hoping to pass it. It's been ages since everything is stuck as 'm taking USMLE, I want it to be over, any kind words would give me solace till the result!!!!!

10/18/2015 2:54:37 AM
Good luck to you and thank you for sharing your experience. It helps as I will be taking the exam in a few days myself. Would you say the majority of your CCS were the short emergency type or a good mix of office and ER cases?

10/18/2015 8:41:38 PM
adpa63306915 wrote:
I'm an IMG. It's been few days when I took the exam. Unlike other exams this was all in the midst of interview scheduling and preparation for the interviews falling just after it. I wanted to get done with it especially as I am looking for flexibility in visa. People in different forums have attached variable significance to this exam's score, but most have agreed that passing is almost all that's required until you need it to prove some point. For my exam I felt almost as horrible after the first day as I had felt in Step 1, on the 2nd day i made mistakes in MCQs but still felt better there, but despite practicing all CCS cases so many times I did umpteen mistakes in almost all cases and mismanaged more than 4-5 cases, my partner taking exam on the same day did not get any recognisable case which we practiced. For the record our UWSA was 224/229, not too high, but we thought we should take it, couldn't delay any further. I almost feel like I'd fail, just hoping that as I felt similar in all prior steps and still did pretty decent on them may be things might turn well, but the true feeling is that "How'd I pass?" and "Please, I don't want to take this exam again.". I don't know how there are so many people who do not feel like that in any exam. On the first day I could not even read the whole question many times. Just hoping for the best, hoping to pass it. It's been ages since everything is stuck as 'm taking USMLE, I want it to be over, any kind words would give me solace till the result!!!!!

Honestly, I felt very same way with my exam. Even after ppl telling me the amount of Biostats on that exam I was still shocked by just how many biostat questions i got. My exam result is coming this week so feeling quite nervous, but just remember that most ppl taking this exam are residents who are much busier then we are when it comes to preparing for this exam. I can't tell you how many friends i know that are in residency who did maybe 50% of UW no assessment and passed. One friend of mine(he failed step1 once) barely got through UW, did CCS for the first time the night before the 2nd day and he managed to pass the exam. So just be positive and good luck on interviews!!

10/18/2015 9:03:09 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words @Waka and @DrPerky. All the best for your result @Waka, may our endeavors be fruitful.

@DrPerky: Since you have asked, for the CCS I would say still the best bet is to keep practicing with the Uworld (51+41) or any other good source you know, 'coz the whole thing is a good mix of office cases and ERs, the problem that I faced was, that despite recognizing the case early I was not able to finish many orders which I was easily doing at my practice sessions. Though I'd practiced the same cases at home at least 2-3 times and all cases once between the two days. I was confident about CCS but still it did not go that well I'd say. On the other hand my partner is much better at these things and the problem for her was that many cases were just new and presented with vague complaints. The best you can do is to keep on practicing till the day of exam, so that you put orders quickly enough and move the patient when required. Hope that helps, do message me if anything more is required. Best of luck!!!

10/22/2015 12:21:52 PM
I was wondering if you guys know where the peds question are for step 3 in the u world?

10/23/2015 11:51:21 PM
@adpa63306910, thank you. Completed the exam today. What a marathon that was.

10/24/2015 2:19:25 PM
wow I felt the exact same way after leaving my test @ada

Literally verbatim experience. I did well on step 1 and 2ck. Ive hardly been able to sleep since my exam. I bombed the ccs, 3 of my patients only got a little better. I'm convinced I failed. I'm a first year resident, but I totally blanked on some of those cases. I'm pretty disappointed in myself. I was considering doing a fellowship but I think that's done for now.

So much biostats. Multiple choice was horrible on both days. I thought I was a pretty good test taker, I guess not.

11/4/2015 1:58:05 AM
Well despite all that I've PASSED and so has my partner. I can say our only source was UWorld and core 1 month preparation. Though I have done average, my partner has completely aced the exam, despite the fact that he was feeling that he did very poorly on CCS, getting all new cases, he has just crushed the exam.Happy that both of us passed and the whole USMLE thing has finished.The things which probably brought my score down were on day 1 specially biostats. Though I consider myself good with that (even now!!!) and did practice lot I could not read many questions and did several silly mistakes.

Wish all people luck who have posted here. Thanks Uworld.

11/10/2015 7:55:03 PM
GOOD LUCK FOR EVERY BODY,I DID MY STEP 3 LAST WEEK AND IT WAS TERRIBLE, A MARATHON, THIS IS NOT RIGHT...MANY BIOST, I COULDN'T READ MANY MANY QS, THEN IN THE CCS,MANY RARE CASES, AND I WAS PRETTY COMFORTABLE PRACTICING WITH UW CCS, SO NOTHING SIMILAR, I HAD ONLY 2 EASY CASES,THE REST VERY DIFFICULT....I NEED A MIRACLE IN ORDER TO PASS IT...GOOD LUCK PPL.

11/11/2015 7:51:41 PM
I passed!!! Praises to Jehovah. It was a marathon!!!! with a score of 200. U world assessment predicted a 199. Guys it can be done. Its not just what you know. It is a mental test as well. Goodbye USMLE!

3/5/2016 6:58:26 PM
Renegade223 wrote:
wow I felt the exact same way after leaving my test @ada

Literally verbatim experience. I did well on step 1 and 2ck. Ive hardly been able to sleep since my exam. I bombed the ccs, 3 of my patients only got a little better. I'm convinced I failed. I'm a first year resident, but I totally blanked on some of those cases. I'm pretty disappointed in myself. I was considering doing a fellowship but I think that's done for now.

So much biostats. Multiple choice was horrible on both days. I thought I was a pretty good test taker, I guess not.

Renagade you didn't update how did it go for you. Did you pass? Hope you did!

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK