pediatric question

2/7/2011 1:44:02 PM
a 2 months old boy is brought to the physician for a well check exam. he was born at time following an uncomplicated pregnancy, labor and delivery. he has been breast feeding 6 to 8 times daily since birth. he smiles and lifts his head. he is at the 50th percentile for lenght, 75th for weight and 25th for head cincumfernce. examination shows no abnormalities. his mother asks for nutritional recommandations. which of the following is the most appropiate recommendation for the infant:

a. add cow milk based formula
b. add pureed fruit
c. add rice cereal
d. switch to soy-based formula
e. begin vitamin C supplementation
f. begin vitamin D supplementation
g. begin vitamin K supplementation

if anybody has a good explanation, please post it...this is an offline question and i don't have the explanations....i choose an answer which is different from the one which is shown at the end of the test. thanks to aybody who can help.....

2/7/2011 3:10:14 PM
I guess G: vit K as its Gaucher ??
And liver isn't functioning well? I am totally not sure

2/7/2011 9:45:19 PM
I think it's Vitamin D. Breast milk is deficient in Vitamins D and K however, as the baby feeds, it's GIT gets colonized by bacteria which produce vit. K so that takes care of that. The only other source of vitamin D is sunlight which isn't enough (especially as most babies spend most of their time all covered in clothing). Vitamin D supplements are recommended in all children only on breast milk.

2/8/2011 7:31:33 PM
weight is kinna not tat low but it seems bone growth delayed .. can start on vitmin c .. not sure however ..

2/14/2011 10:21:36 AM
exclusively breastfed baby will have vit d def.baby is also full term uncomplicated so baby would have received vit k injection.

2/14/2011 1:06:43 PM
I think it is {A} Add Cow Milk Based Formula.

Infant formulas are used as a substitute or as a supplement to breast milk. Most of the formulas are cow milk based formula.

There is no need for supplement of Vitamin D if infant is being breast fed. Cows milk is low in Vitamin C and D. And Formula must be supplemented with Vitamin D.

Vitamin K injection is routinely given at birth, so no supplementation needed.

Switching to soy milk based formula is needed when infant cannot digest cows milk.

Cereals and fruits are usually introduced after 4- 6 months. Iron-fortified cereals introduced at 4-6 months. Strained fruits and vegetables at 6-7 months.

3/1/2012 4:03:49 PM
begin Vit D supplementation as breast milk is deficient in it. we start weaning at age of 6months(previously 4months) so not A. Vitamin K is given at birth if hospital delivery.. until child has taken long term antibiotics for any illness we do not supplement with Vit K.

12/24/2022 4:03:41 PM
I don't think an infant needs extra nutrition. But the pediatrician has to confirm that. Our baby didn't have enough breast milk, we could tell by the constant crying of the baby. And the pediatrician recommended Holle Stage 1 organic Infant Milk Formula https://thebestfromjapan.com/holle-cows-milk-formula-1-baby which was a great addition to the diet. I carefully studied the infant formula and realized that there was nothing to worry about. The infant formula includes all the vitamins necessary for the proper growth and development of the baby.
edited by on 12/24/2022

12/27/2022 5:53:23 AM
its Vitamin D

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK