Failed CK need advice on how to pass plz

6/10/2013 4:01:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I studied for CK, I re-listened to Goljin, read the kaplan books from cover to cover at least twice, watched the Kaplan Videos. Did the USMLE qbanks twice, along with NBME assessment and U world assessment both of which I passed. I was scored 80% on U world a few weeks before the exam, mixed and timed qbanks. I am not sure how, but I still failed, I was shocked and completely devastated & confused. I have passed USMLE step 1 and CS thankfully. I submitting a request to get my score rechecked but we all know that is not something to wait on. I want to apply for Residency for 2014 and I want to re-take the exam this summer.

Can someone please advise me on what I can do? The passing is 196 and I got a 189. I looked into prep courses but I really cannot afford it because I pay for everything myself. Thank you ahead of time

6/10/2013 6:54:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. Did you take an NBME before you took the real exam and if so which ones and what did you get on them?

6/10/2013 7:22:48 PM
AnIm11613807 wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Did you take an NBME before you took the real exam and if so which ones and what did you get on them?

Hi, yes i did I believe it was NBME 3? and I passed it. I am very confused about the result but what can you do. Do you have any suggestions?

6/10/2013 9:13:54 PM
For Step 2 CK, I used the following materials:

1. MTB Step2CK, know and understand all of it.
2. MTB Step 3 as a supplement for peds and some ob/gyn because MTB Step 2CK is not enough
3. Uworld explanation
4. Kaplan Surgery, just the first few chapters
5. Kaplan videos only if a particular concept was difficult to understand.
6. Know CT/MRI images of the the brain, chest, abdomen and pelvis. Not in detail, just the basics.

Unfortunately, you have to put it all together yourself. There is no single review book that is sufficient. For instance, an individual with HIV. I found that I had to use multiple references in order to determine when to start antiviral therapy, prophylatic antibiotics or when to give vaccinations and which type of vaccinations.

Before you take your exam, take all NBME. A few people on these forums have specific pattern on when to take the practice exam. I would follow what they say which seemed to work for me. You must score on your NBME above a certain level to make sure you pass with a high score.

Finally, follow certain peoples advice on the forum, you will figure it out pretty fast who knows what there talking about and who doesn't.

6/10/2013 10:54:00 PM
AnIm11613807 wrote:
For Step 2 CK, I used the following materials:

1. MTB Step2CK, know and understand all of it.
2. MTB Step 3 as a supplement for peds and some ob/gyn because MTB Step 2CK is not enough
3. Uworld explanation
4. Kaplan Surgery, just the first few chapters
5. Kaplan videos only if a particular concept was difficult to understand.
6. Know CT/MRI images of the the brain, chest, abdomen and pelvis. Not in detail, just the basics.

Unfortunately, you have to put it all together yourself. There is no single review book that is sufficient. For instance, an individual with HIV. I found that I had to use multiple references in order to determine when to start antiviral therapy, prophylatic antibiotics or when to give vaccinations and which type of vaccinations.

Before you take your exam, take all NBME. A few people on these forums have specific pattern on when to take the practice exam. I would follow what they say which seemed to work for me. You must score on your NBME above a certain level to make sure you pass with a high score.

Finally, follow certain peoples advice on the forum, you will figure it out pretty fast who knows what there talking about and who doesn't.

Thank you so!!! much I will =)

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK