Endrocrinology Question

3/26/2014 1:34:24 PM
Which Nerve is more prone to damage in Thyroidectomy ?

A) Superior Laryngeal Nerve or B) Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve ?

Earlier somewhere i read that RLN , but today on uworld i Read SLN is at risk of injury during thyroidectomy.... Which one to pick if such question come in exam ?

Thanks

3/26/2014 2:05:41 PM
Medic-Rx wrote:

Earlier somewhere i read that RLN , but today on uworld i Read SLN is at risk of injury during thyroidectomy.... Which one to pick if such question come in exam ?

Thanks

would pick RLN always if hoarseness is mentioned.......but consider this that if there is a definite nerve injury described in the case but the patient is asymptomatic then choose SLN as it is mostly sensory

3/26/2014 2:11:35 PM
Medic-Rx wrote:

Thanks
...Recurrent LN is more prone to injury in thyroidectomy.

3/28/2014 10:38:41 AM
recurrent laryngeal nerve.. as it has more longer course in the neck

3/28/2014 1:33:02 PM
Thanks Everybody

Conclusion :

Choose Recurrent Laryngeal nerve if presented & you think 50-50%

Choose Superior Laryngeal nerve if a nerve get damage near Superior Thyroid Artery & No symptoms of Hoarseness.

Choose Recurrent Laryngeal nerve if a nerve get damage near Inferior Thyroid Artery, With Symptoms of Hoarseness

Happy Studying

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK