Best way to prepare for Step 1 as a IMG.

1/15/2014 8:58:08 PM
Hello, everyone! I graduated from medschool in 2013 and started residency in my country, but my relatives live in US and I've decided to quit the residency and start the long process of getting licensed in US and getting a residency spot there. So, I'm just starting to repeat everything and I was wondering if you guys have any advice on which books, qbanks and really anything helpful for me to get through. I have the new first aid book and just ordered kaplan lecture notes. Thanks so much for the help

1/16/2014 6:13:09 PM
Marthha wrote:
Hello, everyone! I graduated from medschool in 2013 and started residency in my country, but my relatives live in US and I've decided to quit the residency and start the long process of getting licensed in US and getting a residency spot there. So, I'm just starting to repeat everything and I was wondering if you guys have any advice on which books, qbanks and really anything helpful for me to get through. I have the new first aid book and just ordered kaplan lecture notes. Thanks so much for the help

dear martha,
it might seem like a long road, but , hang on, u can do this. i recently finished my step 1 exam. few tips:
1. form a schedule first,take a sample uworld general test, mayb three / four blocks of uworld step 1 questions, asess ur strong and weak areas, and plan accordingly
2. ve a fixed time schedule.. didn really work out for me, but i believe it would ve made the study more effective
3. CHoose ur resources carefully. choose few, and do them over and over and over again. If ur okay/ strong in ur basics
REVISION IS KEY
FA IS BIBLE
UW IS THE BIBLE WORKBOOK

jus do it.keep doin the questions regularly. atleast one block a day, with timimg. ALL THE BEST!

1/16/2014 9:19:49 PM
Marthha wrote:

If I would be you I would never quit a residency in my own country.This is a foolish mistake which a few of many IMGs have made and regreted later.Instead complete residency and then think of USMLE.

1/16/2014 11:30:01 PM
U made the right choice!!!., i have many friends that did residency in their countries and then came here to find out that they have to start from the beginning.
For ur preparation, my advice is: watch a video from youtube called: USMLE STEP 1 SUCCESS STRATEGY.
It''s long, but it will help u a lot with ur preparation.
Good luck!!!

1/17/2014 2:50:00 AM
BAKITA250 wrote:
U made the right choice!!!., i have many friends that did residency in their countries and then came here to find out that they have to start from the beginning.
For ur preparation, my advice is: watch a video from youtube called: USMLE STEP 1 SUCCESS STRATEGY.
Good luck!!!

Thanks so much for the advice! I don't think quitting residency was bad either, I have to work very long hours for no money and I get absolutely no time to study between the residency and the job in ER where I earn money. The residency in the speciality I was in wasn't what I wanted anyway. I'll definitely will watch the video!

1/17/2014 3:06:05 AM
Marthha wrote:
BAKITA250 wrote:
Good luck!!!

Thanks so much for the advice! I don't think quitting residency was bad either, I have to work very long hours for no money and I get absolutely no time to study between the residency and the job in ER where I earn money. The residency in the speciality I was in wasn't what I wanted anyway. I'll definitely will watch the video!

I just know that I am regretting a lot ,investing my life,hard work for entering a vicious circle .

1/17/2014 3:13:36 AM
devikabhatt wrote:
Marthha wrote:
BAKITA250 wrote:
Good luck!!!

I just know that I am regretting a lot ,investing my life,hard work for entering a vicious circle .

I'm sorry, but I hope it all comes together for you and for me eventually. What I've understood so far in my life, is that we need to accept all our choices and not to regret them. We are only human.

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK