Starting Prep need smart advice plz!!

3/8/2013 5:54:50 AM
Hello all,
I'm a USIMG and starting my prep now. I just took the kaplan diagnostic online and got a low 54%. Does anyone know what this really means?? I hear if you are scoring in the 60s in UWorld then you're safe. Sooo how far behind am I really?? What does the Kaplan 54% measure up to.

My plan is to use First Aid with UWorld religiously and then I also have DIT 2012. Other reference books include Goljan for patho, BRS Physio, Pharm Recall.

I have all the Kaplan notes and videos as well but feel like they'll take me too long.

Please give some helpful advise as I am planning on working out a strict study plan for the next 3 months.

Thanks!

3/8/2013 1:31:45 PM
listen. you need to take the UWorld simulation exam first and see what your score is..then you can gauge how much you need to study. take the test today or tomorrow and tell me your score and you can plan it out from there.
videos are great! but are time consuming. how is your general knowledge do you have good notes from medical school or are they sh*tty?? you need to kinda of figure out how many weeks/months you want to study for because if you don't figure that out right now you'll just keep studying and studying for years and years? have your started rotations yet? are you on a time constraint? all these factors play into your prep time. can you study for 5 hours a day? can you study for 13 hours a day?

3/9/2013 3:34:14 AM
pinomontalbano wrote:
listen. you need to take the UWorld simulation exam first and see what your score is..then you can gauge how much you need to study. take the test today or tomorrow and tell me your score and you can plan it out from there.
videos are great! but are time consuming. how is your general knowledge do you have good notes from medical school or are they sh*tty?? you need to kinda of figure out how many weeks/months you want to study for because if you don't figure that out right now you'll just keep studying and studying for years and years? have your started rotations yet? are you on a time constraint? all these factors play into your prep time. can you study for 5 hours a day? can you study for 13 hours a day?

Thanks for your response! Ive heard that Self Assement exams from UWorld are old and they haven't updated them. Is this true? If so what would be a more accurate Diagnostic exam to see where I stand?
I'm going to purchase the UWorld Qbank shortly but I was debating whether the Self Assessment exams are worth buying or not??

3/10/2013 12:57:30 PM
you need to be scoring in the 80s in UWORLD to be safe.
i wouldn't take a self assessment exam until you are about 1 month into your prep. if you take a UWORLD exam in timed, random all subjects mode.you'll be able to maybe gauge what your score is. i would do first aid and uworld for a month and take nbme 6. then see what your score is. maybe you'll do great, maybe you'll do horrible. i don't know, but you need to start with UWORLD asap concurrently with first aid.
don't worry about self assessments yet. you'll get a jist of it when you start UWORLD.

what is your study plan. if you have time do the videos..are you in a rush to take part 1?
edited by pinomontalbano on 3/10/2013

pages: 1

| 
We use cookies to learn how you use our website and to ensure that you have the best possible experience.
By continuing to use our website, you are accepting the use of cookies. Learn more
   OK